Dorayaki, or Yummy Buns, are a kind of Japanese pastry. It is similar to a pair of pancakes, but smaller and with red bean paste between them. It is the favorite food of the Doraemons.
In Japanese, dora means "gong". The similarity of the shapes, made people thought it was where dorayaki originated. According to legend; the first Dorayaki were made when a samurai named Benkei, forgot his gong (dora) upon leaving a farmer’s home (where he takes refuge). The farmer who didn't know what the item serves for, unknowingly he used the gong to fry pancakes; thus the came up with the name Dorayaki.
- It is called Fudgy Pudgy Pies in the English Kindle Doraemon manga, but in the US English dub anime, they are called Yummy Buns.
- It has 'Dora' in it's name so it is possible that it is Doraemon's favorite food because of that.
- Doraemons members adds different seasonings to their dorayakis.
- However, Doraemons' helpers like Dorapin takes out the bean paste and adds another stuffing in it.
- In the Hindi dub, Dorayakis were first referred to as Beanjam Buns. This was changed to Beanjam Cakes later on. At present they are called Doracakes. They are also called Doracakes in the Bengali dub.
- In the Turkish version, they are called Dorayaki Kurabiyeleri (Dorayaki Cookies)
- In the Filipino version, they are mistakenly called Hopia, which a Filipino mooncake-like pastry of Fujianese origin which is popular especially among Filipino Chinese.